Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Hisashiburi!!

It's been wayyyy too long since I've written!

I've been incredibly busy, so finding time to blog is hard. And now, that I have the time, I have no idea where to start.

Lately life has been a mesh of things happening. I had a one week home stay in Murakami(a small town north of Niigata), a school trip to Okinawa, tons of AFS events, and then the trouble of being sick.

Sometimes AFS sets up home stays for us exchange students in different towns. Usually these home stays are only one or two nights. But we stayed in Murakami for a week. Although Murakami is only a little north of Niigata city, the type of food people eat already changed!

Usually when I go to a market in Niigata, I don't see this hanging down!

So then after the home stay in Murakami, there was my school trip to Okinawa!!! :D
(High schools in Japan always have a school trip for the second years).

In addition to having an amazing time (Florida-like weather in December!) I also learned (from a different point of view) the tragic events of WW2.

On the first day we went to Shuri Castle, which was almost destroyed completely during the Battle of Okinawa.

On the second day we attended a lecture and then visited the Peace Memorial, dedicated to all the soldiers who died in the Battle of Okinawa. During the lecture, I realized just how horrible the battle of Okinawa was, and after visiting the Himeyuri Memorial museum, I had had enough and broke down crying.

On third day there was no more World War places to be visited or speeches to be heard, so we all went down to the Okinawa Churaumi Aquarium!
The aquarium had huge whale sharks!!! I could have stared at them all day, but it was so crowded(it seemed as if ten other schools visited the aquarium at the same time) that I had to keep moving forward.

On the fourth day, we went home (or at least back to Niigata).
Okinawa was so beautiful and I enjoyed every minute I was there, but I enjoyed the school trip even more because I was able to get hang out with some classmates that I usually don't.
It was a great way to become closer friends with everyone!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Great pictures! Again, what a great experience - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holly,
    Insights from your daily experiences and travels never disappoint us. Thank you for taking time to update! Have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!!
    SeƱorita

    ReplyDelete